Web Application Penetration Testing
What is Web Application Penetration Testing?
An application pen test aims to identify security vulnerabilities resulting from insecure coding practices or underlying platform weaknesses of software or a website.
Website security testing is named differently, often based on the name of applications, platforms, or popular software in use. Web application security assessments are beneficial security measures along with web application firewall (WAF) usage and these do not negate each other. There is the history of WAF bypasses in the past and it is then an application code that should come up to the task. Ensuring secure coding practices is a comprehensive way to secure an application.
Our services can be commissioned to assess in-house developed applications, off-the-shelf, or cloud service provider applications. For example:
- WordPress penetration testing, or similar CMS (Content Management System) application penetration test
- OWASP Penetration testing
- eCommerce businesses requiring Magento pen test or WordPress pen test
- More complex platforms such as Banking login product security, Gambling platforms web security, or eCommerce security
What type of penetration testing does your business need?
The following questions are helpful in deciding why and what type of web application penetration testing service a business requires.
- Could your website compromise lead to a data breach?
- Could your platform or application be exploited to access the underlying network?
- Are your development teams aware of API security risks?
- How is your CMS or off-the-shelf CMS security?
- Whether any processing or storing of payment details is performed securely?
- Is your application holding static content only, with a shared database instance?
- Whether any PII (Personally Identifiable Information) is stored in the shared database instance at the backend.
Most importantly, irrespective of your product, platform, or network provider, Have you independently validated your security controls?
Benefits of Application Pen Testing
Assess real-world threats to web applications
Validate secure design best practices
Timely check to avoid common pitfalls during development
Ensure strong authentication, authorization, encryption mechanisms
Find loopholes to avoid data leakage or theft
PCI DSS, ISO 27001, Compliance Support